Wow were these potatoes a hit at Thanksgiving. This was actually my first time making mashed potatoes and this recipe did not disappoint. The horseradish flavor is not overwhelming and the shallots go along great!
Mashed Potatoes with Horseradish Butter
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 6 1/2 cups cubed peeled Yukon gold potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation1. To prepare horseradish butter, heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shallots to pan; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; cool.
2. Combine shallots, butter, and horseradish in a small bowl; blend well. Transfer butter mixture to a sheet of plastic wrap. Shape butter mixture into a 3-inch-long log, using plastic wrap to help mold. Wrap log tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm.
3. To prepare potatoes, place potatoes and bay leaf in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Discard bay leaf. Mash potatoes to desired texture. Combine milk and broth in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until warm. Add milk mixture, sour cream, salt, and pepper to potatoes, stirring until well blended. Serve with horseradish butter.