Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cantonese-Style Grilled Pork



My Mom grew up on a pig farm so it is fitting that my first post is a pork recipe. I have many memories of eating pork growing up and if cooked right(not overcooked!!!) it is delicious, moist, and healthy.  This pork recipe is easy enough for a weeknight meal.  If you work away from home during the day like me go ahead and marinate the pork overnight or prepare it in the morning before work. I did and it still turned out great.
I served the pork in a lettuce wrap with a side of vegetables.  It would also be great in a stir fry.

4 servings

1 lb boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of fat
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
2 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 garlic clove, minced

Freeze pork for 45 minutes or defrost from frozen until no longer rock solid. Cut across the grain into 1/4 inch slices. Sprinkle with salt.
Combine sugar and next 6 ingredients (through garlic) in a large Ziploc bag. Knead to blend. Add pork to bag and coat with marinade. Marinate in fridge for 3 hours.
Heat grill to medium-high heat. Place pork on grill coated with cooking spray. Grill for 2 minutes on each side.

Adapted from Cooking Light

Tip: I store ginger in the freezer. It is easier to grate and I never use the amount I buy in one recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment